Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Man vs. Machine


Now- a- days technology has a huge impact on music and the way it’s made. Many artists are not just singers, they’re technological mix masters. Some artists that do this are T-pain and Timbaland. This can provide for a cool new futuristic sound, however some skeptics argue that this synthetic sign hides the artist’s lack of singing talent. I however, think that even if singing isn’t their particular skill music certainly is. This artists sure have a way with technologically creating sounds. So this is the question I pose to you: Is computer generated music any less artistic than that which is naturally produced by voice?


1 comment:

  1. It's all a matter of taste, like most music is
    Personally I'm not annoyed with it as long as it's done tastefully, and I know that the person has an actual good voice. Some examples of good electronic and computer generated music can be found with Daft Punk.
    However it might be my hate for T-Pain saying this, but I have never been a fan of rappers using vocoders for their songs, it makes them seem like posers and it just seems plain lazy. I play videogames, and often I hear people use vocoders on the same skill as these "talented" singers, but just for fun. Also another problem with the artists, T-Pain at least, is that they almost always use auto-tune, and thus haven't proven much talent of his own, unlike someone like say Snoop Dogg or Lil' Wayne who have proven to be able to make music without auto-tune although they've utilized it. Also if they're going to be using computer generated music they might as well call themselves electronic, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. So like I said in the beginning, it's a matter of context for me.

    ReplyDelete